The Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), together with ForestWISE – Collaborative Laboratory for Integrated Forest and Fire Management and the Agency for Integrated Rural Fire Management (AGIF), organized a session on “Rural Fires: Better Management Based on Scientific Evidence” (program ) on November 27th , in the Auditorium of the Portuguese Institute of Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA), in Algés. At this event were presented and discussed the projects supported by the FCT within the scope of the Scientific Research and Technological Development Project Competition in the context of Forest Fire Prevention and Fight.
In this call CTS-UNINOVA had 2 projects funded in a total of 6 in the area of detection and fire fighting:
▪ Firestorm – an interdisciplinary approach to the study of large-scale forest fires.
intensity, Domingos Viegas, ADAI
▪ UAVs for prescribed fires and rekindle detection operations, José Oliveira, UNINOVA
▪ FireLoc – Where is the fire? – Fire identification, positioning and monitoring
with data provided by citizens, Cidália Fonte, INESC Coimbra.
▪ FIREFRONT – Mapping and prediction of real time Fire progression by
unmanned aerial vehicles, Alexandre Bernardino, IST-ID.
▪ foRESTER – Sensor network combined with fire spread modeling
integrated into a decision support system for forest firefighting, Luís Bica Oliveira, UNINOVA.
▪ RESCuE-TOOL – 3-D Radio coverage tool for mission-critical operations in highly dense
forest areas under wildfire environments, Rafael Caldeirinha, IT.
In this event two CTS researchers: Luis Bica Oliveira and José Barata, participated with presentations for the conception and implementation of forms of governance and risk management of rural fires based on scientific knowledge, and in the prevention and control of rural fires. The main goals of this event were the establishment of scientific cooperation networks, the promotion of multidisciplinarity knowledge and the identification of knowledge gaps.